Monday, December 17, 2012

Friend's House Korean -- San Diego, CA

Friend's House (if my elementary-level knowledge of Hangul is correct, the Korean sign in front says "Chingunae") is a small place with a homey feeling....perhaps the feeling that you get when you visit.....a friend's house? Located in the heart of the Convoy Asian food heaven, this restaurant almost makes me feel like I've been transported to Seoul. In fact I'd say they rank rather high on the authenticity meter.

I discovered Friend's House one day while I was craving dolsot bibimbap....and boy, was I glad this was one of the main places that popped up in my search. Their dolsot bibimbap (rice with beef and vegetables in a hot stone pot) was perfectly executed...fresh and flavorful. They did not by any means skimp on any of the ingredients, including the beef, and that's enough to win my heart! It's no-nonsense sizzling deliciousness in a hot pot.

Dolsot bibimbap (lunch $6.99, dinner $8.99)

Of course, what Korean restaurant would be complete without its banchan (side dishes)? Standard fare here, and of course...refillable!

Banchan (free with meal)

Another dish that left a positive mark for me was the gamja-tang (pork-bone stew with meat and potatoes). Although maybe an acquired taste for some, this stew was well-seasoned and quite hearty, and together with hot rice was perfect for a chilly autumn night. Generous portions of tender pork-bone meat, potatoes and rice cake left me more than satisfied. My friend also mentioned how her udong (udon noodle soup) was tasty and satisfying as well. 

Gamja-tang (lunch $8.99, dinner $9.99)

Udong (lunch $6.99, dinner $7.99)

It's notable to mention that they're open until midnight, 6 days a week...major props to late night eateries! Aside from the aforementioned highlights, Friend's House also serves other familiar Korean staples such as bulgogi, galbi, soondubu and pajeon....although as I've yet to try these, I can't comment on them yet. I suppose that calls for another visit soon! 



Friend's House Korean 
4647 Convoy Street, Suite 101A
San Diego, CA 92111

858 292 0499

Mon-Sat 11:00AM-12:00AM
Closed Sun


No comments:

Post a Comment